Rhino’s Summer of Love Starts Winding Down
Yes, baby, it’s still hot outside, but Rhino’s celebration of the Summer of Love is wrapping up this week. Thankfully, we’ve still got five more special vinyl reissues, along with – GASP! – a new NUGGETS compilation. You’re welcome, music fans!
First up: the vinyl!
Dusty Springfield, DUSTY IN MEMPHIS: It’s staggering to think that this album wasn’t a huge success when it was originally released, but thankfully it’s made up for lost time over the years, in no small part thanks to Quentin Tarantino utilizing “Son of a Preacher Man” in Pulp Fiction.
Tim Buckley, GOODBYE AND HELLO: Yes, Jeff Buckley’s dad was a psychedelic folk legend, and this, his second album, is where he fully found his sound, which fully explains why it appears in the book 1001 Albums To Hear Before You Die.
Aretha Franklin, ARETHA ARRIVES (mono version): Seriously, how many artists can successfully pull off covers of the Rolling Stones, Question Mark and the Mysterians, and Willie Nelson and do so credibly? Bow down before the Queen of Soul!
Judy Collins, WILDFLOWERS (on translucent yellow vinyl): Some say this is the best album of Collins’ career, others disagree, but with the inclusion of her version of “Both Sides Now,” it’s certainly a must-own for folk-pop fans.
The Zodiac, COSMIC SOUNDS (on glow-in-the-dark vinyl): This could well be the single most definitively 1967 album that we’ve reissued during the course of our celebration, but it you enjoy your psychedelia, then you must pick up a copy post-haste.
And for those of you who skipped ahead the moment we mentioned that we have a new NUGGETS compilation, shame on you, but for those of you who waited, here’s the details on that release:
TRANSPARENT DAYS: WEST COAST NUGGETS
1. "Transparent Day" - The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band
2. "Time Is After You" - The Peanut Butter Conspiracy
3. "Linda's Gone" - The West Coast Branch
4. "I Could Be Happy" - The Dovers
5. "My Race Is Run - The Motleys
6. "The Happiness Song" - Gerry Pond
7. "Here's Today" - The Rose Garden
8. "Bye Bye Bye" (Warner Bros. Single Version) - The Tikis
1. "Make It Easy" - The Collectors
2. "I'll Sell My Soul" - The Allies
3. "Goin' Down" - The Waphphle
4. "Out Of Sight Out Of Mind" - Limey & The Yanks
5. "Where You Gonna Go" - Art Guy
6. "Got Love" - The Front Line
7. "She's My Baby" - The Mojo Men
8. "Going Home" - Butch Engle & The Styx
1. "Pandora's Golden Heebie Jeebies" - The Association
2. "If You Could Be Him Instead" - Wayne Stewart
3. "Candlestickmaker" - Ron Elliott
4. "Smiling" - M.C. 2
5. "Momentarily Gone" - The Truth
6. "Degeneration Gap" - Tandyn Almer
7. "Baby Please Don't Go" - The Ballroom
1. "Come Alive" - Things To Come
2. "House Of Glass" - The Glass Family
3. "The Eagle Never Hunts The Fly" - The Bonniwell Music Machine
4. "Dawn Lights The Way" - Clear Light
5. "Shadows" - The Electric Prunes
6. "Changes (Tygstl)" - The Ceyleib People
7. "Your Mind & We Belong Together" - Love
For more information, click the buttons below: